Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Antique Store Prices!

Hello Pyrex Collective! It's SixBalloons here!

I was peering into the window of a closed antique shop on my way home from work today and spotted some amazing Pyrex pieces. Unfortunately, one of the price tags I saw was amazing too!


This turquoise or aqua 2-quart round casserole came with a lid and rack that I had never seen before. I am not sure if they are original to the piece, as I thought these pieces typically came with a clear lid. Can you believe the $59 price tag? Ouch. It was a beautiful colour though, and in great condition too.


The store also had a beautiful promotional Royal Divided Dish with matching gold medallion lid in perfect condition. I wasn't able to see the sales tag but I'm sure it was out my price range. The royal blue colour on this pan is gorgeous! I think someone posted the other day that they had found the dish without lid. I think it would go nicely with the Horizon Blue pattern indeed.


Sorry for the quality of the photos, the daylight was burning away, and I was on the other side of the window... I assure you, they looked quite perfect in person. =)  I think I will visit this store again and check out the more humble Pyrex pieces outside of the window display. Who knows, there may be some reasonably priced gems back there.

Stop by sometime and say hello at sixballoons.blogspot.com!

13 comments:

  1. I have that turquoise set with the lid and stand, but I sure didn't pay that much for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen anything that nice at an antique store. Still wouldn't pay those prices though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are several things about that aqua round casserole and lid that don't ring true to me. I own several Pyrex pieces exactly like that in various colors, and there are no lids. It is possible that someone put together some odds and ends and stuck a high price tag on it. The color of the casserole dish does not coordinate with the lid--there is no gold design on it (not to mention that I've never seen a metal lid on a Pyrex piece). And the casserole dish doesn't fit the stand exactly, although it is hard to tell from the picture. Everybody be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes I laugh a what dealers set some of their prices at, makes me wonder how their booths stay in business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these antique dealers are getting wise to the pyrexia. i saw a single butterprint mixing bowl on sale for $30, meanwhile the complete fridge set in another booth was only $28. Sometimes I wish the dealers were there so I could school them on proper pricing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently saw 3 of the 4 primary mixing bowls sold as a set (missing the smallest of bowls) for $80!!! And they weren't even in very good shape! Yikes yikes yikes. I agree with Feltsey's comment above: be careful out there people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty finds! I love the 1st piece, it looks like something out of the Jetsons! Do you think you'll go back and buy it? Maybe they can do a better price for you! Thanks for stopping by my garden today1

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the PyrexLove Flickr stream you can see the turquoise casserole as new in box: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsfromnicole/5084167135/in/photostream/.
    I think it might be fairly rare and that would account for the price.
    While I prefer to get my fix from the thrift store, I have bought a special piece from the antique market: a delphite Golden Grapes chip and dip with the wire holder for $30. Look at higher prices at antique stores as adding value to your collection that you built via thrift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Jenifir, thanks for the link... Look amazing in that flickr photo. Well, I'm certainly glad that the store is pricing it so because it is a rare piece. Delphite Golden Grapes complete set for $30 is a deal I would have done too! Sometimes it is worthwhile to keep our eyes peeled - I would pay "full retail" for a New Dots bowl, that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have one of those really cool lids! i think the piece with the holder and lid looks like it should be on the jetsons cartoon, very space sprocketly lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. funny about the jetsons thing, i never read anyone else's comments before i post a comment. i don't feel as bad about spending a little more on a pretty piece i really like since my mom brings me so much that i don't pay for and she gets it super cheap cause she hits really good thrift stores. the thrifts are not close to me and i can pop in an antique/junk store occasionally and look around. it all evens out in the end lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah!It is really a beauty but the price? In antique kansas city they will assist you before buying a product they are very helpful.I bought a high quality chairs and a table uniquely designed.

    ReplyDelete