Saturday, January 7, 2012

Turquoise Riddle


I found this large bowl at an estate sale this morning.  When I first saw it, I thought it was plastic, but was puzzled why a plastic bowl would have such a price.  When I picked it up, I quickly discovered it was glass.  High quality milk glass like Pyrex.  Unfortunately it is unmarked on the bottom.


The bowl is 4 inches tall and 10 inches wide.  It has a high quality fired on paint finish like you would find on a piece of Pyrex.  The only difference is that the fired-on finish is on the inside as well (reminds me of a piece of Hazel Atlas).  The white splatter paint on it is raised and easily felt when touched.


It is my hope that one of my fellow Collective members or followers will be able to identify this mysterious piece.  Any help at all is appreciated!

11 comments:

  1. OMG! I saw one of these at a thrift store today!! Exact same one! I didn't buy it because it didn't say pyrex. I am very interested to see what you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. corning ware? i really have no clue, just throwing it out there to ponder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you were right in assuming Hazel Atlas. Do an eBay search for "spaghetti bowl" in the glass category and you'll see a few there. I just so happen to see a listing for one a couple days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I'm no help at shedding light on who may have produced it but its very cute!! I would have bought it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazel Atlas definitely made some items that had this squiggly pattern. My sister owns 2 teacups in the black squiggle on white which are marked with the Hazel Atlas mark on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guess was also Hazel Atlas. Recently picked up one lonely squiggled saucer that I love. There is a pic of it here:
    http://cottageid.com/dorking-out-over-pyrex

    Are you keeping the bowl? If it is up for trade, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely Hazel Atlas. I found it in my H.A. book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the help everyone! I am thankful for your assistence to confirm that it is Hazel Atlas. I've never seen a piece of Hazel Atlas this large. It fits in nicely with my Pyrex collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a pretty color, but what an odd design. When I first looked at the pictures I thought, "Wow, someone took a key to that bowl or something, it's all scratched up." Now I see it's a PATTERN. Interesting. Very pretty, and in great condition now that I see it's not scratched :)

    ReplyDelete